Friday, May 12, 2006

Vipassana

Well i'm back in the land of the blogging, for better or for worse :)

Leaving today for a 10 day Vipassana retreat. Vipassana is a form of meditation that comes from Theraveda Buddhism, it's all about mindfullness and self awareness. I've been practising zazen for almost 2 years now, so it'll be great to learn a new sitting style. I think the two are closely related.

I need this retreat. For ages now I've known that I have to make some changes to my lifestyle. My eating habits suck, I am so unconscious about what i put into my body (or rather, i'm really consious of how awful it is yet I continue with absolute disregard)

Also, I could really do with a week of hectic discipline when it comes to my meditation practise. I usually sit zazen with Ant for 20 minutes in the mornings after I've dropped the kids off at school. And then for the rest of the day I use chemicals to maintain a semblance of normality (caffeine, TCH, sugar). It's a silly way to live considering that I know better.

So this retreat is going to help reset all my patterns.
Yum.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Have fun on your retreat!

Glad to see that have decided to blog once again. :+)

4:20 AM  
Blogger Okashii Budo said...

I'm glad to see that you're blogging again. I stumbled upon your blog last week and was afraid I'd missed my chance to chat about the Dharma with you.

Enjoy the retreat. They're always amazing, and always different. And I know exactly what you mean about needing to reset habits. Here in the US we tend to compartmentalize, rationalize and supersize our bad habits, like overeating. It was a zazen intensive that helped me finally confront smoking (I know, I know).

In addition to at home, I also meditate at a Chinese Ch'an temple down the road. While they don't call it zazen (they just call it meditation), it's the same thing, and yet somehow different, maybe because of the environment. But I always come away with a different experience, and it's always powerful.

In gassho,
~scruff

5:05 PM  
Blogger paperfrog said...

Welcome back online -- and thank you for linking PaperFrog. I've reciprocated.

Metta,

kit

9:15 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

A warm reception! Oh goody, the network didn't disappear just because I unplugged for a while :)

Hiya scruff, good to meet you. Do you teach the dharma or is your blog the result of personal studies? Thanks for your comments, always welcome, as is a good discussion so bring it on!

And Kit, I think your site is beautiful. Frogs are special! Not to mention the actual site content, shows an intelligent and discerning mind...

Steve, glad to be back, and extra glad that you popped in for a visit :)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home