Monday, January 09, 2006

heart sutra

When I was 15 I started to perceive the energy fields of living things, and even the presence of the energy within rocks and water and the other elements. Up until that point I had been a deeply religious Christian. The concept of God was very precious to me. My new perceptions raised very scary questions. Was I possessed? Was I sensing something evil or good? At that stage the New Age had not yet taken hold in my neck of the woods, so I had nothing to compare my experiences to.

I spoke to the youth pastor at my church, and I was told to forget the whole thing, and not tell anyone else in our fellowship. As you can imagine, this didn't help at all, and after much soul searching I decided to leave the church and do some exploring. What followed was a few years of consciousness expansion with the aid of plants, but oft times these left me with more questions than answers.

Then I met a man who practised Zen Buddhism, and he challenged me like nothing I had ever encountered before. Every one of my assumptions about reality popped like bubbles. We spent a year together on a little farm far away from everything. During that time I came to understand the idea that reality is Maya, an illusion. For those of you who haven't encountered this concept before, it is hard to swallow. At first I used every logical arguement at my disposal to try and keep my view of a intrinsic reality intact.

Eventually I realised that even science upholds the idea that reality is really just made of energy, and our perceptions of it. I began to sit zazen, and for the first time since I left the church i began to experience the kind of relief that the concept of God used to provide. Only this time I wasn't looking to some outside entity to carry me, i was instead letting my self go.

One of the principal tennets of the Buddhist practice is the Heart Sutra. I have put it to music because it is beautiful.The heart sutra. (right-click here and 'save as' to download) Prajna Paramita Hrydaya Sutra Here is a link to the words

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

"gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha"

What do these words mean, gaelin?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

The translation I used in the song is "Beyond, beyond, and hail those who go beyond." Another translation is "Go, go, go beyond, go far beyond - awaken - Hail!"

The way I see it "going beyond" is the practice of going beyond the ego, the self who shapes your identity, and experiencing the freedom of no self, the universal identity.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Shonin said...

Very nice. Perhaps you should have had a rap near the end?

8:16 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

A rap? hmmm... interesting... :) You have any suggestions re lyrics?

8:50 PM  
Blogger oxeye said...

gaelin, is there anyway i could acquire your heart sutra and put it on my mp3 player? i like it.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

Hi oxeye :) I have altered the html in my post to allow for downloads (I think) Please let me know if you're not able to save the link, and then I will come up with a more elegant solution!

8:11 PM  
Blogger oxeye said...

gaelin, I was able to download it with no problem. thank you so much. :)

11:12 PM  
Blogger Okashii Budo said...

Stunning and haunting, this is the most "listenable" recording of the Heart Sutra text I know of. Gaelin, you've brought something to the Heart Sutra that wasn't there for me before. Thanks for that!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

Thank you for listening, I know that sounds soppy but it means so much when somebody new appreciates my work. I'm going to be cleaning up that track a bit, I'll cut out the background noise and make the sounds a little clearer. My husband runs a music/production studio and he's agreed to show me the ropes ;) I'll send you a heads up when the final version is available.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home