Friday, November 11, 2005

life...

Life, the Universe and Everything... (all Douglas Adams fans - smile!) round and round and round we go. Today is a day for quoting poetry, normal talk will just not do.

"Up so floating many bells down"
(e.e.cummings - delight in the liberation of words.)

A storm thundered today and the rain fell heavy. Beautiful.

(My painting is going through a really intense stage, i won't be posting updates until I am more rooted in the new direction it has taken.)

as freedom is a breakfastfood
or truth can live with right or wrong
or molehills are from mountains made
- long enough and just so long
will being pay the rent of seem
and genius please the talentgang
and water most encourage flame

e.e.cummings

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

What does that poem mean, do you think?

I am trying to read one line at a time...and see or sense what truth or connections become apparent throughout the poem as a whole...

but, I don't think I "get it"!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

this is my reading of the poem,

He starts off describing the state of society. For as long as...freedom is arbitrary and merely convienient...truth is unjust and complacent, and great things are seen as nothing,...
'Long enough and just so long' - he accepts how it is...(and sees it ending.)
Only while all these social ills continue will 'being' (our honest identity) be renting out the dishonest identity of what only seems to be.
And the genius will no longer have to please those who are talented in some areas but lacking in real understanding.
And water will no longer encourage flame,(a metaphor of how upside-down life has become, he is saying that this is due to the terrible state that society is in.)

He writes on a very abstract level, if you think too hard he's impossible. But the more of his poems you read the more your brain gets used to suspending reason and letting the feeling of the words weave a deeper meaning.

Ahhh... I love poetry.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Ahhhh, yes! :+)

I see what you are saying now... that was a very difficult poem for me to decipher...but thank you...I think that you have disclosed the essence of it very well!

I love poetry too. I have read some wonderful poetry lately...but I have neve read any of e.e. cummings before. I am glad that you left us a link to him. I think that "if i believe" is an amazing poem...but that is just the first one I have read on that page!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Wanted to stop by and let you know that I am fine...was takin a break..and had my SUPER SOAP weekend yesterday..i am very sore from all the walking...but it was great...will tell all at my site...good luck w/ the painting..will talk to ya soon

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home