Wednesday, June 14, 2006

conflict continued





More images of the series...

I think that's it now. I have three statuettes altogether, two still in progress, all portraying scenes of domestic conflict.

I went on a meditation retreat recently, and one of the issues that became very clear to me was that I haven't forgiven my ex (the father of my kids) for his violent streak. As long as I'm holding on to anger at him, I'm still giving him some of my power. The anger is so big and so scary, it feels like it will crack me in half. But slowly I'm accessing it and letting it go. Freeing my energy for other things.

The clay work has allowed me to really look at the feelings involved in physical conflict. By shaping the bodies I'm exploring a moment frozen in time. The man stands tense and resolute, fixed in the act of physical domination. The woman writhes, pulls, desperate to escape but at the same time inexplorably bound. Each line of their bodies, each curve of their muscles, reveals to me the moment at which this anger of mine was kindled.

Art as therapy. You gotta love it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

I can't say enough how impressive you are...and good for you for having an artistic outlet for the crap you've been thru...my mother-in-law was in an abusive relationship years ago, and she would paint...thats what your work reminds me of; her, and how far she has come...keep up the great work...
:)Just me

10:13 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

Thank you! :)))
(BTW, don't underestimate yourself girlfriend, you're just as capable of magnificance...its our birthright. Children of God? Well, with a daddy like that everybody has the potential to be anything they want to be ;)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

You can really see the struggle very clearly...it is sad, horrifying, to see the hands of the third one near the other one's neck. An incredible job...gaelin.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

Thanks for that steve, I feel so much better having made them. Exorcised my demons shall I say...

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home