Monday, August 07, 2006

Judge a moth by the beauty of its candle

The header is a quote from Rumi, an incredible man who lived in 1200 (13th century?). He was a Sufi poet and visionary, and he's as close to zen mind as it gets...

When the moth is consumed by the candle and they merge completely, then zen mind is achieved. But till then it circles (as we all do). Any place from which words come is a place of circling...

Another beautiful quote from Rumi

This we have now
is not imagination.

This is not
grief or joy.

Not a judging state
or an elation,
or a sadness.

Those come
and go.

This is the presense
that doesn't.



translated from the original (Persian?) by Coleman Barks

6 Comments:

Blogger rama said...

Thanks for the Rumi. But you should know that this translation is quite far from the original! And that does make a difference.

I am very happy to announce that I have put up a collection of my poems on the internet. This is titled Inheritance: Poesy for Oneness and Well-being.

Its accessible at: http://inheritance-poesy.blogspot.com/

I would like to invite you all to visit this site. I would be very happy to read your comments / critique.Best regards, rama

5:54 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

I will efinatly check your poems out. You have such a lovely way of putting things :)

Do you suggest I look for another translation of Rumi? I guess it's not quite the same once it's been translated...perhaps some of the essential meaning is overlooked by the translator.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Okashii Budo said...

This is the first problem inherent to all translation. There's simply no way to convey the exact-same feeling when translating anything from one language to another - especially when the two languages are as diverse and distant from each other as English and Persian (Farsi, is it?)

Of course, another problem is time - Rumi's work is old enough that it would be difficult to find an accurate representation anywhere, even in his own native tongue. The best we can do is go with what we have, and try to glean his meanings from what's left.

Too bad, because Rumi's poetry is so "feeling-intensive". But I have the feeling that what we have in English really isn't too far away from what he was saying, even if the words inherently can't flow as well.

~scruff

7:57 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

welll....I as usual have nothing so insightful as your other readers..LOL...I just liked it...the way it is...Have a great weekend gaelin...and take care
Kirsten

1:59 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I love reading Rumi! :)

3:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I m very much interested in rumi meditation .PLEASE send me more related information for meditation in a drug rehabilitation facility

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home