Wednesday, August 02, 2006

rama's poem

written 1996


Through your appearance friend, I learnt to recognise myself,
Your inward is in my outward, I am the inward in your outward.
If I am ever right, that is only because of you
And mine the evil that poisons you.
You are only a figment of my imagination,
While I know myself only through your blessing.
My place is at your feet, by your side, and in your embrace
May you be the body through which I realise myself.
Through failure and betrayal, I struggle to uphold your love and compassion,
Disconsolate shame my constant reward.
The world is my mirror, I look and see myself;
May I be able to be yours, and help you to see yourself.
In gratitude for your kindness, through which I am,
May I be able to help you know who you are.

This poem was taken with permission from Rama's blog. He writes from Calcutta, India, sharing his thoughts and observations with the true spirit of the Tamil.

This poem speaks to me of the great truth that we all know but few realize. 'I am in you, just as you are in me.'

Namaste

4 Comments:

Blogger rama said...

My dear Friend, i was delighted to see the poem on your blog! I wrote this in late 1996. I was in a late-night meditation, before going to sleep, and I was filled with powerful thoughts, feelings and insights. I finally got up and wrote this down.

If we want to improve ourselves, there's no end to that. We can learn a lot, especially from those we (seem to) dislike. And then one can only be filled with gratitude and love!

Best
rama

1:10 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

That is truly a beautiful poem, gaelin... and rama! :)
I see the truth of it as well.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Okashii Budo said...

Rama rocks. He is a truly insighful man.

hey Gaelin, I heard you guys got some weather!! :)

~scruff

2:53 PM  
Blogger krystyna said...

It is the truth.
Great poem and great man!

Your blog is wonderful!

All the best to you!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home