Monday, October 09, 2006

astronomy...

An artists impression of the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy




I'm writing my Astronomy exam tomorrow. I've really enjoyed this course. It's been a wonderful introduction to the subject.

Did you know that our galaxy (the Milky Way) is home to a supermassive black hole at it's center? Our galaxy is shaped like a spiral that spins around a central nucleus. Scientists have measured the orbital rate of stars close to the center,and they exceed the speed at which such large bodies should be traveling. This excessive speed is attributed to the huge gravitational pull of the black hole in the center.

I think this has huge philosophical implications. But I won't go there just yet...

Another amazing fact that I've gleaned from this course is that stars are the forges in which matter is created. Nuclear fusion in the center of stars is responsably for the creation of all the elements. Gold and silver are heavier elements, and can only fuse at very high temperatures, they are products of supernovas (the explosive deaths of very large stars) which are rather rare, and this explains why some elements aremore rare than others.

Absolutely fascinating...
See the links below for more indepth information :)


wikipedia - supermassive black holes

Nasa - supermassive black holes

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

good luck on your astronomy exam...Im sure you will do well..hope you guys are all well..ya know...we have now known each other just about a year now...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! LOL...take care...
Hugsssssss
Kirsten

3:36 PM  
Blogger Gaelin said...

Thanks Kirsten :) do you remember you were the first or second person to ever comment on my blog? So it's a double special anniversary:)))

wishing you lots of love,

Gaelin

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I DO remember...I think I was your first NON spam comment...LMBO...its soo bizarre to think that we've only known each other a year...seems like forever....have I told ya how happy I am that you started blogging again???....anyways...yeah us....theres ONE relationship that has lasted...hahahahaha....anyways...I hope you guys are alllll well and I am sending YOU and yours alll kinds of love...and hugssss...take care girl...
:)

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home